ODU's reading education program is designed to train instructors, coaches, and other reading practitioners to master content and pedagogy. Our curriculum emphasizes a commitment to professional involvement in the school and community.
When you graduate, you will be prepared to:
- Develop reading programs and create instructional materials for use in elementary and secondary classrooms or clinical settings
- Use various types of media and educational technology in instruction
- Serve as an expert model and literacy coach in a community of educators
- Conduct and disseminate research
- Relate to the needs of children of differing ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Recognize the characteristics of different developmental stages, learning styles and special needs
- Diagnose problems and provide remediation for students experiencing reading difficulties
Your coursework will give you opportunities for intensive research in literacy. You also will complete a practicum in a local setting to gain experience leading lessons and applying diagnostic techniques for learning processes and intellectual capacity.
When you graduate, you will earn a Master of Science in Education, Reading.
This program is not intended to lead to teacher licensure or endorsement. If you are a licensed teacher seeking professional endorsement, consider our Reading MSEd for reading specialist endorsement online.