MPH - Health Behavior and Health Promotion
About this Concentration
ODU's Master of Public Health program combines knowledge and skills that you can use in healthcare management, population-based research, and the community practice of public health.
Our MPH concentration in Health Behavior and Health Promotion focuses on disease and injury prevention. Your coursework will teach you how to promote healthy behavior through education, communication, research, and publication.
Your online classes are the same ones offered to students at our main campus in Norfolk, Va. Your classmates may be a mix of students from Virginia and across the U.S.
Interested in global health? You can earn a graduate certificate in Global Health concurrently with your MPH degree.
ODU's MPH program is fully approved by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) and fully accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). To see the CEPH accreditation report or ask questions about this accreditation, please visit the department's website.
Careers in Public Health Behavior and Health Promotion
Health behavior scientists and health promotion professionals:
- are active in community health improvement and behavioral health research;
- are successful health educators, community health planners and program evaluators;
- work in the public and private sectors;
- serve as health promotion leaders, directors and managers and behavioral health scientists in academic, government, private industry and private practice settings;
- work to prevent disease and injury and promote healthy behaviors through education, communication, research, and publication.
Employment of health education specialists and community health workers is projected to grow 12 percent from 2021 to 2031, faster than the average for all occupations.
— Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, March 2023