Take a leadership role in your educational community to impact the mathematics achievement and success of preK-8 students. Our curriculum will provide you with a strong background in mathematics content, robust pedagogical practices, assessment strategies for learning understandings, and working with diverse student populations. You will also have opportunities to practice and craft your leadership skills.
Strengthen your ability to:
- Re-examine connections among key concepts in preK-8 curriculum aligned with National Council of Teachers of Mathematics standards
- Leverage processes and practices for developing content understanding
- Use effective tasks to enhance students' mathematical confidence
- Gain a deeper understanding of students’ mathematical thinking and cognitive development
In addition, you will learn how to:
- Support learners through culturally responsive pedagogy and reform-oriented instruction
- Facilitate professional learning and bridge the gap between research and practice
This degree is intended for educators with a current Virginia license and a bachelor’s degree related to teaching elementary or middle school mathematics.
Upon graduation, you will be eligible for licensure endorsement as a math specialist (preK-8) in Virginia.