Why ODU for a Mathematics Specialist Online Program?
Take a leadership role in your educational community. Prepare to impact the mathematics achievement and success of preK-8 students. ODU's mathematics specialist program will provide you with a strong background in mathematics education, and how to best teach those concepts. You will also have opportunities to practice and craft your leadership skills with this master's degree.
Strengthen your ability to:
- study mathematics for deepening content knowledge and awareness of mathematical connections;
- engage ALL math learners (kids, adults, and differently abled) in productive struggle and sense making;
- support teachers and administrators to improve mathematics learning and programs in schools; and
- investigate mathematics learning and teaching and use findings for improvement.
You will also learn how to:
- Support learners through culturally responsive pedagogy and reform-oriented instruction;
- Facilitate professional learning and bridge the gap between research and practice.
Want to learn more? Contact us!
This mathematics specialist program is for educators with a current Virginia license and a bachelor’s degree related to teaching elementary or middle school mathematics.
Upon graduation, you will be eligible for licensure endorsement as a math specialist (preK-8) in Virginia schools.
Best School in Virginia for Online Teacher Education (Subject-Specific) and #12 nationwide, 2021 - CollegeFactual.com
Math Specialist Required Courses
- 30 credit hours, including an internship
You will take courses in education and math content. You will also complete a math specialist internship. This internship can be completed in your local school division or school of employment.
You will earn a Master of Science in elementary education. Already have a master's degree? You can pursue the math specialist endorsement only.
Online Learning Environment
Access course materials online from any location. Some classes will have live, regular online meeting times, while others will not. Instructors may schedule assignments and exams at specific times. This program requires a practicum or internship. All courses follow ODU's regular academic calendar.
Careers in Math Education
Teachers pursue a mathematics endorsement so they can serve as:
- Mathematics specialists
- Mathematics resource teachers
- Mathematics coaches
This program is designed to prepare Virginia licensed teachers for endorsement as a math specialist (preK-8).
If you live outside Virginia, we encourage you to check your state's teacher licensure requirements before applying to ODU. Use these licensure links to explore whether this program may help you obtain a teaching endorsement in other states.
Ready to get started?
How to Apply
This degree is intended for educators with a current Virginia license and a bachelor’s degree related to teaching elementary or middle school mathematics.
To apply for admission, you must have:
- Three years of successful classroom experience teaching mathematics
- A teaching-related bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college/university with a 3.0 overall program GPA
- A Virginia Collegiate Professional License or equivalent from another state