ODU's online human services bachelor's program will prepare you for positions in a variety of community service agencies. You will learn:
- the roles and functions of the human services professional;
- characteristics of human growth and development;
- characteristics of human services agencies;
- theories and skills of human services; and
- basic skills related to program evaluation, grant writing, and fundraising.
You will also learn the ethical, legal, and multicultural issues related to being a human services professional.
Interested in becoming a Certified Substance Abuse Counselor?
Our human services program is approved by the Virginia Board of Counseling and the Virginia Certification Board as a provider of addiction education leading to Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC) and Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) certification. After graduation from ODU, you will be required to complete the residency requirement and take the exam set by the Virginia Board of Psychology.
Outside Virginia? Contact your state board regarding didactic requirements for specific credentials. The CSAC credential is recognized by the International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC) and is eligible for reciprocity.