Teachers are leaders in the classroom, and they often act as mentors to fellow teachers or teacher candidates. This certificate is designed to prepare you with the concepts and skills to operate as a leader, whether your role is informal or officially recognized.
We designed the four courses in this certificate based on a state-wide survey of teacher leadership needs as well as alignment with the Teacher Leader Model Standards (ETS, n. d.). The topics in these courses apply to K-12 teachers in any discipline.
When you graduate from this program, you will be ready to:
- mentor and coach teacher candidates, novice, and experienced teachers;
- operate as curriculum leaders at the school and division level;
- provide effective professional development for fellow educators;
- participate in and lead professional learning communities; and
- advocate for educational improvement and empower stakeholders to participate in the process.
As part of your coursework, you will develop an action plan that can be enacted during the school year. The four-course sequence begins in June and can be completed in one calendar year.
SCHEV has granted approval for this graduate certificate program. It does not lead to licensure or endorsement.