Old Dominion University's Coronavirus Response:  More Information >>

Why ODU for Secondary Education?

If you have a a non-teaching bachelor's degree and want to gain a Virginia initial teaching license for grades 6-12 without getting a master's degree, this endorsement is for you.

This program prepares you for licensure in one of these content areas, which will be listed on the license:

  • English
  • mathematics
  • earth science
  • chemistry
  • biology
  • physics
  • history/social studies

Courses taken in this endorsement may be applied towards a Master's degree in Education from ODU.

* Note: This program is not available in the state of Washington.

Want to to learn more? Contact us!


Required Courses

  • 34 credit hours minimum

Your coursework will include professional education, a practicum, and a Teacher Candidate Internship.

If you do not have a bachelor's degree in the content area you wish to teach, you will need to take additional courses.

Online Learning Environment

Participate in live, regularly scheduled online class meetings and access course materials online from any location. All courses follow ODU's regular academic calendar.

Calculating Cost

  • In-state Virginia Residents$547 per credit hour*
  • Out-of-state Students$595 per credit hour

Rates are effective Summer 2019 and subject to change.
* In-state rate assumes residency requirements are met.

ODU Shield Image

Sound Interesting?Let’s Get Started

How to Apply

This program is designed for Virginia teacher licensure. You will apply to ODU as a non-degree seeking graduate student. A separate application to this endorsement program is required in accordance with Virginia Board of Education requirements. Please visit the department's website for details.

Want to get started now?

You may be able to take up to four courses (12 credit hours) as a non-degree graduate student, before you are accepted into a specific degree program. 

Please contact us to discuss this option with an expert advisor.

Meet your Team

You'll have a dedicated academic advisor for this program.

Contact us if you have questions about admission requirements, transferring credits, or application deadlines.