Do you want to be a school librarian in Virginia? Need a teaching license? If you have a Bachelor's degree, you can earn a Master's degree in Education with a Virginia teaching license plus endorsement in School Librarianship, grades K-12.

In today's world, information flows faster than ever before. As a school librarian, you'll work with the latest educational technologies to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information.

* Note: This program is not available in the state of Washington.

Want to to learn more? Contact us!

By submitting this form, I give consent for ODUOnline to contact me via phone, text and email. Msg & data rates may apply.

Required Courses

Online Learning Environment

Access course materials online from any location. Many classes don't have a scheduled meeting time, so you can fit class into your personal schedule. The instructor may schedule assignments and exams at specific times. All courses follow ODU's regular academic calendar.

Although this is an online program, you'll will be expected to attend an annual three-day summer institute in Norfolk, Virginia. In your first year, you're also expected to attend either the fall Virginia Association of School Librarians conference or one of the spring regionals.

Calculating Cost

  • In-state Virginia Residents$523 per credit hour*
  • Out-of-state Students$568 per credit hour

Rates are effective Summer 2018 and subject to change.
* In-state rate assumes residency requirements are met.

ODU Shield Image

Sound Interesting?Let’s Get Started

How to Apply

This program is designed for Virginia teacher licensure. If you are not a currently licensed teacher, you must have a bachelor’s degree with an undergraduate GPA of at least 2.80 and passing scores on the Praxis Core.

For more information on becoming a teacher, please contact Library Science at

Want to get started now?

You may be able to take up to four courses (12 credit hours) as a non-degree graduate student, before you are accepted into a specific degree program. 

Please contact us to discuss this option with an expert advisor.

Meet your Team

You'll have a dedicated academic advisor for this program. Contact us if you have questions about admission requirements, transferring credits, or application deadlines.