Be part of the solution. Gain the latest skills with Old Dominion University's online certificate in addiction prevention and treatment certificate. You'll learn core competencies through rigorous academics and applied problem-solving. We teach according to guidelines from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
When you complete this program, you will have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to:
- recognize the signs and symptoms of substance abuse,
- understand crisis intervention and relapse prevention strategies,
- develop substance abuse prevention and recovery programs,
- treat individuals and families affected by drug addiction, and
- make ethical decisions in as a human services professional.
This certificate may meet the educational (didactic) requirements for addiction credentialing, such as the Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC) and the Certified Substance Abuse Counselor-Assistant (CSAC-A) in Virginia.*
* This certificate prepares you for the post-graduation residency program phase for Virginia CSAC or CSAC-A credentialing. It may fulfill the educational hours required to take the National Certified Addiction Counselor Level I (NCAC-I) exam as set by the Virginia Board of Counseling. If you plan to seek credentialing outside of Virginia, please contact your state board to determine how this certificate can meet your state’s requirements. If you plan to seek international credentialing, we encourage you to consider our Human Services bachelor’s program.