The demand for substance abuse counselors is increasing. Complement your studies with a minor that equips you to help tackle a global drug crisis.
You'll gain knowledge and experience in essential areas for competent professional practice, as identified by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. This minor may also meet the didactic requirements for substance abuse credentialing, such as the Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC) credential in Virginia.*
* Interested in Virginia CSAC credentialing? This minor will prepare you for the post-graduation residency phase and fulfills the educational hours required to take the National Certified Addiction Counselor Level I (NCAC-I) exam as set by the Virginia Board of Counseling. Outside of Virginia? Please check with your state for transferability.
Want to learn more? Contact us!
- 18 credit hours (6 courses)
ENGL 211C, ENGL 221C, or ENGL 231C must be completed as a prerequisite for courses in this minor.
A minor can only be earned as part of an undergraduate program. Talk with an ODUGlobal enrollment coordinator to determine how your credits will transfer.
Online Learning Environment
Access course materials online from any location. Some classes will have live, regular online meeting times, while others will not. The instructor may schedule assignments and exams at specific times. All courses follow ODU's regular academic calendar.
This minor and the CSAC credential are beneficial in public and private settings such as:
- Outpatient practices
- Residential and rehabilitation centers
- Detoxification centers
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Grief and trauma centers
- Addiction treatment and recovery centers/programs
- Methadone and Suboxone clinics
- Geriatric facilities
- Jails and prisons
- Courts and probation settings
- Schools and adolescent/youth programs
- Social service settings
- In-state Virginia Residents
- $393 per credit hour*
- Out-of-State Students
- $423 per credit hour
Meet Your Team
A dedicated enrollment team for your major will guide your transition to ODUGlobal.
Ready to get started?
How to Apply
This minor can only be completed as part of an undergraduate degree from ODU.
Already have college credits?