If you are using ProctorU through the SmarterProctoring service, please visit our SmarterProctoring Student Guide for instructions.
The directions below are for classes that don't use SmarterProctoring, which means you will schedule exams with ProctorU directly at their website.
ProctorU is an online proctoring service for online exams available through Canvas. With ProctorU, you can take your exam from any location where you have a computer with a webcam, microphone, speakers or headset, and high speed internet service. The cost of proctoring sessions is paid by ODU (excluding any late fees you may incur).
How does ProctorU work?
For each exam, you will schedule an appointment through the ProctorU service. At the time of your exam, you will connect by video chat with a proctor at ProctorU who will check your identity and help you through the exam process. They will be able to see your screen as you take the exam in Canvas and help with any technical difficulties.
To take an exam with ProctorU, you will need a web cam, a headset or speakers and microphone, and a high speed Internet connection. ProctorU currently recommends the Chrome web browser, which requires an extension to be installed. Full technical requirements are listed below.
Get Ready for an Exam
- If this is your first time using ProctorU, create an account.
- For new users, we recommend visiting https://test-it-out.proctoru.com and filling out the "Live technician" form to chat with a ProctorU agent. They can lead you through the steps required for a real exam, so you know what will happen. Your exam may require the Chrome browser extension; click here for a Live+ checklist.
- Schedule your exam at least 72 hours in advance. Provide a valid email address and a phone number where you can be reached while you are taking the exam. (If an exam is scheduled late, you will be responsible for any late fees assessed by ProctorU.)
- View or download the ProctorU Prep Guide(PDF) and ODU ProctorU FAQs (PDF) to help you get ready to use ProctorU.
- At the time of your exam, log in at go.proctoru.com and click on the blinking button, asking you to “click here to start."
You can test your computer with ProctorU at any time by visiting https://test-it-out.proctoru.com. If you have any trouble, just fill out the "Live technician" form at the bottom of that page to talk to a ProctorU agent.
At a minimum, you should have:
- A reliable computer running Windows XP (or higher) or Mac OS X 10 (or higher)
- A web cam with 640x480 video pixel resolution (web cams built into laptops or monitors are acceptable)
- Headphones or working speakers connected to the computer
- A working microphone connected to the computer (your web cam or laptop may have one built into it)
- A reliable high speed internet connection (minimum 768 Kbps/384 Kbps Download/Upload)
- ProctorU recommends the Google Chrome web browser, which requires the ProctorU Live+ browser extension
- The ability to allow video and screen-sharing connections to the computer you will be using to take your exam (in Windows, this means having Administrator permissions)
I lost my internet connection during my exam!
Don't worry -- just leave your proctoring window open, and your sessions should reconnect automatically when your internet connection is back online.
If your session doesn't reconnect, contact ProctorU through the live chat function or by calling 855-772-8678. If you try to reschedule your session without contacting ProctorU first, you may be charged a late scheduling fee.
If you are charged a late scheduling fee due to a technical difficulty disconnect, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a refund for the retaken exam.
Can I use other programs at the same time as ProctorU?
No, unless your instructor has specifically allowed you to access software for your exam. Attempting to run programs other than proctoring may result in your session being terminated. Please comply with the technical instructions for your exam by closing any extra applications or browser windows.
Questions about ProctorU?
I don't have a space where I can take my exam alone, or I need high speed internet access, or my computer is not compatible with the exam software. What do I do?
If you live in Hampton Roads:
- Schedule your exam with ProctorU.
- Reserve a space in the Learning Commons at ODU's Perry Library that covers your ProctorU appointment/exam length.
- Room 2008 can be reserved by one person for proctoring use through the Open Room reservation system.
- These rooms can be reserved up to one week in advance for a maximum of two hours. If your exam is longer than two hours, contact the Perry Library Help Desk immediately after you reserve a room to see if the reservation can be extended.