Most exams are taken online in ODU's learning management system. Some may require a proctor.
Check your course syllabus or ask your instructor if you aren't sure what kind of exams are required.
Don't wait until the last minute!
It's your responsibility to make sure your computer is compatible, you have all needed equipment, and to schedule an appointment to take the exam, if necessary. We're happy to help, but contact us as soon as possible so we can make sure you're ready.
This page has been updated with information for students during ODU's COVID-19 response.
With a high speed internet connection, a computer, and a quiet space where you can be alone, you can take your online exam from almost anywhere. The tips below will help you prepare.
During the COVID-19 response, testing centers and individual proctors may have limited availability or be closed.
If you do not have a space where you can take your exam alone, or you need a location with high speed internet access, please contact your instructor as soon as possible. Businesses and colleges may reduce operating hours or available services in response to COVID-19. We know that this can impact our students, and you may not have access to the resources you need. We will work with you to find a solution so you can complete your semester successfully.
Exams in Canvas
- Follow directions in your course syllabus.
- If your exam requires the Respondus Lockdown browser, review our Respondus LockDown Browser Guide (PDF).
Exams through SmarterProctoring
SmarterProctoring is a service within Canvas. It allows faculty to make a variety of proctoring options available to you. Options may include:
- Automated Proctoring
- ProctorU Live
- Testing centers
- Third-party proctors
If your class is using SmarterProctoring, your instructor will let you know which exams should be scheduled through this service and which proctoring options are available.
Exams with ProctorU (directly)
- Follow directions in your course syllabus. If you have any questions about the exam itself, contact your instructor.
- Review our ProctorU Information to see how the process works. If you schedule your exam at least 72 hours in advance, ODU pays the entire cost of proctoring!
Navy College Exams
Portable media courses:
- Follow the guidelines and procedures provided with your program and course materials, or click here for instructions.
- Follow our regular exam instructions above.
Engineering Management (MEM) by Portable Media
Students taking MEM courses by portable media will take proctored exams. Depending on your situation, you may need to secure a proctor yourself. Please visit the MEM Procedures page for all the details.