Why ODU for Homeland Security?
Our homeland security certificate online program will train you in an "all-hazards" approach to emergency management. This approach helps agencies and communities identify where they are most vulnerable, and create response plans that can be applied in multiple situations.
Your online coursework will provide practical, real-world skills that you can apply immediately in your workplace. When you complete this certificate, you will be able to:
- Use probability assessment methods to make decisions about managing risk.
- Navigate the intergovernmental relationships, policies, and regulations that shape our country's response to disasters at the local, state and federal levels.
- Assist organizations with public relations related to crisis prevention, mitigation, and recovery.
- Develop cyber threat models using attack graphs/trees, STRIDE, Universal Modeling Language, and other risk analysis tools.
Your assignments will also help you develop key skills in leadership, critical thinking and analysis, logistical planning, communication, and problem solving.
When you complete this program, you will earn a Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security.
Want to learn more? Contact us!
- 12 credit hours (four courses)
This online certificate requires two courses in risk analysis and emergency management and policy.
You can choose the other two courses from specific areas, including:
- cybersecurity and information security
- cyber systems engineering
- maritime security
- collective and global security
- leadership and management in cybersecurity
Online Learning Environment
Participate in live, regularly scheduled online class meetings and access course materials online from any location. All courses follow ODU's regular academic calendar.
Careers in Homeland Security
Federal agencies are major employers of homeland security professionals, but jobs can be found in both the public and private sectors across the country.
Your new skills in disaster prevention, preparation, communication, responsiveness and recovery can help you find a career in:
- emergency and crisis management
- business continuity
- infrastructure protection
- intelligence analysis
- law enforcement
- physical security
Ready to get started?
How to Apply
To take this graduate certificate, you must have a bachelor's degree. You will apply to ODU as a non-degree seeking graduate student and also apply to this certificate program.
Already an ODU student? Ask your advisor about adding this certificate to your graduate program of study.