About This Minor
Explore the influence of language on society by examining its use in real-life contexts.
This minor takes an evidence-based approach to the study of language, with an emphasis on using linguistics to address real-world problems.
You'll choose five classes to explore:
- communication across cultures,
- teaching English as a second language,
- regional and global language variations,
- conversation analysis,
- language and gender,
- and other topics.
Want to learn more? Contact us!
- 15 credit hours (five courses)
A minor can only be earned as part of an undergraduate program. Talk with an ODUGlobal enrollment coordinator to determine if you have credits that will transfer.
Online Learning Environment
Access course materials online from any location. Some classes will have live, regular online meeting times, while others will not. The instructor may schedule assignments and exams at specific times. All courses follow ODU's regular academic calendar.
Who should take this minor?
This English minor with an emphasis in Applied Language Studies directly supports a variety of majors and disciplines, including:
- Business, Economics, and Management
- Communication and Professional Communication
- Criminal Justice, Cyber Crime, and Cybersecurity
- Education, including STEM, language teaching and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Health Sciences
- Political and Legal Studies
- Social Sciences, Sociology
- Speech Language Pathology and Audiology
- Women's Studies
- World Languages and Cultures
- In-state Virginia Residents
- $393 per credit hour*
- Out-of-State Students
- $423 per credit hour
Meet Your Team
A dedicated enrollment team for your major will guide your transition to ODUGlobal.
Ready to get started?
Already have college credits?