If you haven't seen it already, you should check out this page. It's filled with tips on how to make the most of your classes. Print it out as a checklist!
ODU Student Success Center
Start here to find the tools you need to succeed! Staff here provide free tutoring, mentoring, and academic support. They can also help connect you to:
- Educational Accessibility
- TRIO/Student Support Services
- Prior Learning Assessment
- Academic Development
- ePortfolio Student Support
- Undergraduate Research Program
Your instructor should provide information on how will you take exams in your online course. Click here to review details about the different types of online exams.
Undergraduate Placement Tests
Find a Tutor or Study Group Online
Tutoring and peer groups are available through ODU's Tutoring & Mentoring tools. You can connect to tutoring and study sessions online via web conferencing.
Our Peer Educator Program connects undergraduates with trained ODU students and mentors. Click here to find out which courses have tutoring available. Or login to the MyODU portal and select MyTutor to schedule an online appointment.
Students Affiliated with the Military
ODU has services specifically for military and veteran students. Our Military Connection Center can connect you to all the services we have to offer, from financial aid to academics. To get started, head to ODU's Military Connection Center web page.
Writing and Research
ODU Writing Center
ODU's Writing Center is part of the Academic Skills group that supports the undergraduate writing assessment program. The Writing Center provides counseling and workshops on improving college writing, including live online tutorials. Schedule a virtual appointment by calling 757-683-4013 -- be sure to tell them you're an online student so they schedule an online session.
ODUOnline students can check out books from ODU libraries and libraries connected through InterLibrary Loan, and get the materials mailed right to your door.
You also can get expert research help from the librarians at ODU's libraries:
- Have a quick question? Ask-a-Librarian!
- Learn how to use the libraries' search tool, Monarch OneSearch.
- Get in-depth assistance with library research, whether you're just beginning research for a term paper or in the middle of a thesis. Schedule a Research Consultation.
- Want to explore the research process on your own? Check out these "Information Literacy" tutorials.
Responsible Conduct of Research Training
ODU trains all graduate students in the fundamentals of Responsible Conduct of Research. You must complete this training before you have completed 12 credit hours at ODU. Click here to get started.
Student Outreach and Support (S.O.S.)
S.O.S. provides services to students who experience administrative, academic, or personal road blocks to their success at ODU. Contact S.O.S. if you need help with:
- an unexpected life event that interferes with your ability to complete your classes
- finding the right person or department who can help with a need
- concerns that have not been resolved by another office
- confusion or questions about University policies
- a safe space to discuss your concerns
Student Complaint Resolution
We're committed to our students and to implementing our academic policies and procedures in a consistent and nondiscriminatory manner. We want to know if you have any complaints or concerns regarding grades, tuition, discrimination, or any other topic that you feel should be addressed. Online and on-campus students are all welcome to voice concerns in either a formal or informal manner.
Start here to learn more about University policies, procedures, resources, and complaint options.