Access the ODUGlobal Student Orientation
The orientation instructions below are for students admitted as fully online students.
Fully online students who have questions or concerns about this orientation should contact Morgan Morrison, Director of Student Success Services for ODUGlobal, at email@example.com.
For Norfolk campus students: Please head to the on-campus Monarch Orientation Information page, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 757-683-3428.
Time to get started!
In Fall 2022, ODUOnline began the transition to ODUGlobal. You may see our old logo in some materials--we are working to update everything by January 2023.
First, you'll complete the ODUGlobal New Student Orientation, and then you'll meet with your student success director and register for classes.
Note: You'll need to have activated both your ODU MIDAS account and your ODU student email to complete the orientation. If you haven't done that yet, visit the MIDAS information page for instructions and a video tutorial. It may take up to 48 hours to fully activate your MIDAS account. Visit the Student Email page for information on activating your ODU Student Email.
If you have any trouble accessing the ODUGlobal Orientation in Canvas, please contact Morgan Morrison at email@example.com.
Access the ODUGlobal New Student Orientation
Your ODUGlobal Enrollment Coordinator will enroll you in the ODUGlobal New Student Orientation after you accept your admission, activate your MIDAS ID, and activate your student email account.
To access the orientation:
- Log into Canvas at https://canvas.odu.edu.
- Click the Canvas Courses icon, then click on the Orientation title to begin.
Complete the ODUGlobal New Student Orientation
On the Orientation home page, please read the welcome information carefully -- it includes instructions for completing the Orientation.
- The orientation consists of three modules full of tips, resources, and need-to-know policies.
- In full, it typically takes 45 minutes to an hour to complete.
- It is self-paced, so you can finish it all at once or in sections, as your schedule allows.
When you are ready to begin, click the "Modules" link on the left side.
Completing the Modules
- Click on the first module, 1) Welcome to "Monarch Nation."
- You will see a list of sections within this module. Click on the title of the first section to begin.
- Review the information on this page. Then click "Next" (bottom right side) to progress through this section.
- Your progress is automatically saved. Green check marks will appear for the pages you have completed on the section list.
- At the end of the module, you will be prompted to take an assessment. Click "Take the Quiz" to begin. You can retake the quiz as many times as you want. You must earn a score of 80% or higher to unlock Module 2.
Click on Module 2 to continue, and repeat steps the above. Do the same for Module 3.
At the end of the last module, you will be prompted to take two final steps:
- Update your New Student Checklist. Click the large button that says "Update Your Checklist" to update to automatically update your checklist in the myODU portal. You should see the update in the portal within three hours.
- Scroll down below the Checklist button to "Orientation Completion Notice." Click "Next" to fill out the notice form, and be sure to use your ODU student email address (YourMIDASID@odu.edu). Click Submit at the end.
Your answers to the Orientation Completion Notice will be sent to your ODU email address and to your ODUGlobal Student Success Director. Your Student Success Director will email your ODU email address within 1-3 business days regarding your next steps towards registration.
Note: Advising appointments for ODUGlobal students are held using Zoom, so you can talk to and see your Student Success Director "face to face." You will need access to a laptop or desktop computer so you can share your screen, as well as a microphone and camera so you can communicate. These are important meetings, so we prefer that you do not use a mobile device.
If you are unable to continue to Module 2 or 3, please check to make sure you earned 80% or better on the assessment of the previous module.
Sometimes, technical issues can be resolved by opening the orientation in a different device (one with a better internet connection) or by switching browsers. Canvas works best with Google Chrome.
If you are still having trouble accessing or completing this orientation, please contact Morgan Morrison (MCMorris@odu.edu), Director of Student Success Services for ODUGlobal, for further assistance.