Our online master's program will prepare you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to:
- Teach reading,
- Develop reading programs and curriculum,
- Teach professional development workshops,
- Assess individual student reading strengths and weaknesses,
- Serve as a literacy coach,
- And coach students in literacy at the elementary and secondary school levels.
You will conduct research, become immersed in the latest reading issues and trends, and conduct a needs assessment for your school.
This program also includes a supervised practicum. There you will tutor children and gain experience diagnosing and remedying reading problems. You'll engage in a field-based reading specialist/literacy coaching experience. This practicum can be completed in your local school division or school of employment.
This program is NCATE/CAEP accredited. When you graduate, you will earn a Master of Science in Education, Reading with Reading Specialist endorsement preparation. This program is intended to prepare licensed teachers in Virginia for reading specialist endorsement.
Looking for graduate studies without licensure? We also offer a non-licensure track in the Reading master's program.